As we head into the holiday season, many of us will be hosting family and friends. It’s important to remember that among the guests that will enter our home this season are children. As hosts, we have an opportunity to make them feel special and create an experience for them that will last a lifetime
One simple way I try to cater to the kids at my holiday gatherings is to create special appetizers just for them. Designate a kid-friendly spot to serve these foods and you will make the little people at your party feel important too! Add small water bottles or juice boxes and display on a low lying table so they can help themselves – they will feel empowered and won’t need to pester Mom and Dad for help. The added bonus is that you won’t have hungry, cranky kids and the adult guests at your gathering can leisurely enjoy a cocktail and conversation before everyone sits down for the meal. A win-win idea!
Here are two appetizer ideas that I love from RITZ. For more great ideas visit the site at KraftRecipes.com.
RITZ® Caterpillar – makes 1
- 5 RITZ Crackers
- 2 tsp. peanut butter
- 1 tsp. grape jelly, or any other flavor
- 10 pieces (1 inch each) shoestring licorice
- 2 small round candies
- SPREAD 3 of the crackers with peanut butter; spread the remaining 2 crackers with jelly.
- ARRANGE crackers alternately on serving tray to resemble caterpillar, overlapping crackers slightly.
- DECORATE with shoestring licorice and candies for the “caterpillar’s legs,” “antennae” and “eyes.”
Cheesy Pretzel Dippers
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) KRAFT Medium Cheddar Cheese
- 16 thin pretzel sticks
- GREY POUPON Honey Dijon Mustard
- CUT 1 pkg. (8 oz.) KRAFT Medium Cheddar Cheese into 16 cubes. Let stand at room temperature 10 to 15 min. or until cheese is at room temperature.
- INSERT a thin pretzel stick into each cube.
- SERVE as dippers with GREY POUPON Honey Dijon Mustard.