Healthy Popcorn Recipe
Here’s a healthy take on one of America’s favorite snack foods!
POPCORN GETS A BUM RAP as a result of the non-nutritional toppings that so often dress it, but popcorn is low in calories and touts health benefits such as fiber and zinc. Add air popping and nutritional toppings and you have a snack that you can feel good about. Best-selling author Terry Walters, shows families many ways we can lead a healthier life. She shared her recipe for healthy Popcorn with us below. Hope you give it a try at your next family movie night!
Terry Walters is a well-known holistic health counselor, food educator, and motivational speaker. She is one of the original leaders of the clean-eating movement and tells her audience how to eat healthy, and delicious — easy! Terry’s new version of her best-selling cookbook: has tons of new information, resources, and recipes. Using seasonal food (the bountiful Spring Harvest is coming!) that will delight the tastebuds, strengthen immunity, clear skin, improve sleep, and so much more.
Popcorn with Olive Oil, Sea Salt and Drizzled Dark Chocolate
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons plus
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Ground cinnamon
- Pop popcorn in air popper and set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in small pan over low heat and stir continuously until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in one teaspoon olive oil.
- Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over popcorn and toss with sea salt and a dash of cinnamon.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate and serve.
SERVES 4 (about 3 cups per person)
Experiment with melted virgin coconut oil in place of olive oil and different herbs, spices and spice blends such as garlic powder, brewers yeast, cacao powder, pumpkin pie spice, fajita seasoning, curry powder and more.