Here are some great tips for Holiday Baking from Elizabeth and her Mom!
A BAKERS DOZEN Tips for Holiday Cookies (you get one bonus) !
- Stock Cookie Ingredient Basics – butter, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, confectionary sugar, vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, salt, eggs, chocolate chips, unsweetened baking chocolate. Anytime the mood strikes or time permits, I can whip up a batch or two – no shopping required!
- Maintain Basic Baking Tools – mixer, cookie sheets, cooling racks, spatulas, timer, dry and liquid measuring cups and spoons and, of course, working oven).
- Organize Cookie Decorating Materials – cookie cutters, regular and neon food coloring, sprinkles, jimmies and other fun cookie decorating items are stored in one container for easy and quick access. Once the family is gathered for our annual making and decorating of the sugar cookies, I have all the “fun stuff” right at our fingertips – no hunting, searching, digging (believe me your helpers can lose interest real quick if you don’t move things along).
- Inventory ingredients and tools for non-basic cookie recipes – purchase those needed.
- Take Cookie Requests – ask family members to for requests so no one can say, “how come you didn’t make my favorite cookie?” They may change from year to year, so don’t make assumptions.
- No last minute baking. Rushed baking can turn out badly. Set aside time specifically for baking; avoid squeezing it into a hectic day.
- Be Precise. Start with a good recipe and follow it exactly – it’s important to use the correct measuring cups and spoons.
- Be Attentive. Use an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is heating accurately, use a timer and don’t get distracted in another room. Burnt cookies do not lead to joyfulness.
- Store Properly. Allow cookies to cool thoroughly before storing in airtight containers.
- Practice Makes Perfect. The more you bake, the easier it becomes.
- Pass on Tradition. Tap an experienced family member to share their skill and traditions. Baking is a great way to share and carry on family traditions.
- The Ultimate Comfort Food. Homemade cookies are a special gift, share them with someone you love.
- Make sure to eat some yourself!