This Valentine’s Day host a party for two. Try out our ‘Fire & Ice‘ inspired celebration and surprise your loved one with a romantic escape right in your own home.
Follow our tips and you’re sure to turn up the heat while sending chills down your flame’s spine. Setting the stage is easy – serve a simple tasting menu and add few special touches. Wait till the kids are in bed if they are still young, hire a local teen to watch a movie with them or better yet send them to Grandma’s house for the night!
Here are 3 hot tips for making it happen.
Hot Tip #1: Get Romantic with a Fire & Ice Champagne Cocktail
- 1/2 oz. Vodka (fire)
- 4 oz. Brut Champagne
- A splash of pomegranate Juice or scoop of pomegranate sorbet (ice)
- Pour vodka in champagne flute, add champagne and top off with a scoop of pomegranate sorbet. Add a rock candy sugar stick for a garnish that looks like ice.
or try our Valentini Cocktail…
- 3 oz vodka
- 1 oz Pom pomegranate/blueberry juice
- 3 blueberries
- Pour the vodka and juice into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously, cold is key here.
- Strain liquid into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Skewer 3 blueberries on a cocktail pick and lie over glass or insert in cocktail.
Hot Tip #2: Serve a Tasting Menu for Two
Keep it simple and it won’t be overwhelming. Enjoy small plates – eating this way encourages a leisurely meal and conversation, much more romantic than feeling overstuffed and rushed at a restaurant. Serve bite-sized portions so you can eat with your hands – it’s very sensual. Just make sure everything you serve can be made ahead so “what’s cooking” is not you in the kitchen. Then, for dessert indulge your desire for chocolate. On Valentine’s Day, or any romantic winter’s eve, chocolate is an essential element.
- Cheese plate with all the accoutrements; figs, honey, nuts, and crackers
- Stuffed Bread (broccoli and cheese)
- Shrimp Cocktail
- Assorted Fruit (like grapes and strawberries) and whipped cream
- Assorted Chocolates
Hot Tip #3: Create a Romantic Atmosphere
- Create a music play list not only as an important element of your romantic evening, but also as a love letter to your partner and a keepsake of the evening. It makes a beautiful gift that your loved-one can enjoy all year. You can easily create your play list on iTunes. Turn on the music before the evening begins to get into the romantic mood of your evening. Here is a list of 50+ Love Songs to get you started>
- Set the scene for a romantic evening. Add romance and surprise by moving your party for two from the table to a more comfortable location. If you have a fireplace, clear the floor directly in front, spread out a blanket and arrange some throw pillows for comfortable lounging. If you have a faux fur blanket, drape it on the side for cozying up later with a cocktail. If you don’t have a fireplace, locate a cozy corner, light some candles and create your own “fire”.
- Create a Fire and Ice display as an added inspiration for your evening. This can be displayed on a table or on a tray by your fire (the arrangement is pictured above).
- Cut an empty 1-gallon milk carton in half. Rinse thoroughly. Place a large pillar candle in the bottom of the clean milk carton; make sure the top of the candle, especially the wick, sits above the top of the carton. Stuff red rose buds around the base of the pillar candle and fill the carton 1/2 of the way with water. Place the carton in the freezer, making sure the carton and candle sit level. Freeze until the ice is solid.
- When the block is frozen solid, dip the carton in warm water briefly, then peel the paper away exposing your fire and ice display.
- Set the block on tray/pan to catch any drips and place it back in the freezer until just before “show time”.
- To display, place the candle in a shallow bowl to catch the water as ice melts.
Updated and Re-Posted…