In a sea of television programming that’s not suited for family, it’s hard to watch the tube together. So celebrate tonight and/or tomorrow night by watching American Idol together. Turn a totally boring weeknight into a family fun night! Invite family & friends over and host an AI viewing party. Get your work done, have the kids do their homework early, shut off the computer and get ready to smile. Hollywood week provides lots to laugh and cheer about!
Make everyone a healthy smoothie for dessert and sit back and enjoy!
Mixed Berry Smoothie (makes 2 servings)
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 banana
- ¾ cup nonfat plain or vanilla yogurt (use a brand with healthy cultures,
I like Stonyfield)
- 1/4 tsp. agave nectar (you can substitute 1/2 tsp. honey)
- ¼ cup protein powder
- 1/2 cup liquid (you can use skim milk, pomegranate juice, V8 V-Fusion Vegetable/Fruit juice Pomegranate Blueberry)
Add all ingredients to a blender, puree and pour. If you’re on the run, pour it into a disposable or travel cup, stick a straw in it and go.
Note: you can adjust the amount of the ingredients to your liking. Have some fun and experiment with different ingredients as well. On a hot day, add some ice or freeze your banana ahead of time. Sometimes I toss in flax seed – it changes the texture slightly, but it’s just one of those things that’s good for you (every little bit helps).
Here is a list of some other healthy snacks (the kids should like them too)
- Nearly frozen applesauce
- Ants on a Log: Peanut butter on celery with raisins
- Mud & Dirt: Low-fat pudding with crushed graham crackers mixed in
- Whole-wheat crackers or whole-wheat tortilla with salsa
- Hummus and pita wedges
- “Light” microwave popcorn with grated parmesan cheese
- Mini-pizzas: Half an English muffin covered with a tablespoon of tomato sauce, then topped with part-skim mozzarella cheese