Go to the head of the class and invite your friends over for a Back To School Night party. Celebrate September with cupcakes and cocktails and get an “A” for a simple and special idea. Make it a ladies night and toast to another school year. Go with an apple theme, teachers are not the only ones that love them. Serve up Green Apple Martinis and Candy Apple Cupcakes. Decorate with red and green apples and if you want extra credit, try cute apple shaped candles.
Cocktail: Green Apple Martini
Recipe by Scripps Howard News Service on the Food Network
- Cinnamon and sugar for rimming glass
- 5 tablespoons vodka
- 5 tablespoons sour-apple schnapps
- 5 tablespoons lemonade
- 5 tablespoons lemon-lime soda (such as 7-Up or Sprite)
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine vodka, schnapps, lemonade and lemon-lime soda. Cover and shake vigorously. Dip rim edge of martini glasses in a shallow dish with 1/4-inch water, then in a shallow dish with 1/4-inch of equal parts sugar and cinnamon mixture. Strain shaken mixture into prepared glasses and serve.
Cupcakes : Candy Apple Cupcakes
By Woman’s Day Kitchen from Woman’s Day
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pkg (14 oz) 50 caramel candies
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Ice cream sticks
Garnish:Red jimmies or sprinkles
1. Heat oven to 350°F. You’ll need 24 muffin cups lined with paper liners.
2. Cupcakes: Combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Beat applesauce, sugars, butter, sour cream and eggs in a bowl with mixer on low speed just to combine. in flour mixture until well blended.
4. Divide batter among muffin cups. 30 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in cupcakes comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
5. Glaze: Heat caramels in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Add heavy cream and stir until combined. Cool 2 minutes. Working quickly, while mixture is still warm, spread top of each cupcake with 2 tsp of glaze. If glaze gets hard to spread, heat on low, stirring until more melted. Insert an ice cream stick into center and top with jimmies or sprinkles, if using. Place in freezer for 5 minutes to set.