Wow, did Bon Appetit get it right with this menu for Oktoberfest! The dishes are a bit more time consuming than those I usually share, but as far as Oktoberfest menus go these are the best I have ever seen! The Bratwurst Bites are the most complicate, but the other items on the menu are do-able for those of us that are short on time. You can make the Brisket a day ahead and since it feeds 12 the work is worth the reward. Give the kale a try, you’ll be surprised and it’s so good for you. To read the full article with recipes go to Bon Appetit.
- Homemade Bratwurst Bites with Beer and Horseradish Mustard >
- Brisket Braised in Porter >
- German-Style Fried Potatoes >
- Sautéed Kale with Garlic, Shallots, and Capers >
- Chocolate Stout Layer Cake with Chocolate Frosting >
A bit of background: Oktoberfest is being celebrated in Munich Germany this year from September 18 th- October 4th. The origin of Oktoberfest was the celebration of the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig to Princess Therese of Saxony-Hindburghausen on October 17, 1810. It Germany’s largest party of the year!
Other menu ideas:
- Reuben Sandwiches
- Hot Soft Pretzels with grainy, spicy mustard for dipping
- German Potato Salad
- German Chocolate Cake
- Apple Strudel
- Lowenbrau or Becks Beer
- Apple Dumplings
Zum Wohl – Bottoms Up!