This week we have partnered with some extraordinary entertaining experts to bring you THE GREAT AMERICAN BBQ BLOG HOP! Check out each of these amazing blogs for everything you need to get your summer off to a sizzling start. Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial kickoff to the season. If you want to host the best BBQ on the block start with your menu here … and then hop over to the blog posts listed below, they cover everything from very cool cocktails to a vintage-Americana backyard BBQ! May is National BBQ month so fire up the grill and move the party outdoors. Ready. Set. Go. Get Hopping!
THE GREAT AMERICAN BBQ BLOG HOP ENTERTAINING EXPERTS:
The Daily Basics -The Best BBQ Steak Marinade
Housewife Bliss - How to love your BBQ
Reluctant Entertainer – 12 Tips for Summer Barbeque Dinner Party
Second City Soiree - How To Grill Pizza Video
Celebrations at Home - Backyard BBQ Inspiration Tabletop & Buffet + FREE Printables
Intoxicologist - 10 cool cocktail recipes
This menu features a mainstay of summer entertaining – GRILLING. Grilling allows the host to get out of the kitchen and away from a hot stove – make no mistake, this menu doesn’t trade the kitchen for slaving over a hot grill. Prep everything before guests arrive and spend minimal time at the grill cooking it up.
We took basics everyone loves, made them affordable and easy to prepare and dressed them up in a special way. Fresh summer produce (tomatoes, onion, basil, corn, scallions, parsley, lime and berries) is front and center on this menu only giving way to the main dish – a Fired-Up Mixed Grill featuring steak and chicken. For detailed instructions and recipes for each item on the menu you can download our FREE mini Party Bluprint.
GRILLED SUMMER BRUSCHETTA: This iight version of bruschetta features the flavors of fresh produce. We went light with the olive oil because there’s nothing better than fresh produce and we wanted it to shine right through. This flavorful appetizer is both affordable and easy to prepare, making it a “must-serve” all summer long.
FIRED-UP MIXED GRILL: Using a few basic spices from your pantry, it’s easy to mix it up a bit and add some pizzazz to popular grilled favorites (chicken breast and London Broil). Simply prepare a dry rub, sprinkle your chicken and steak with the rub, let it marinate in the refrigerator and then grill it up.
GRILLED CORN COUSCOUS SALAD: This side salad is the perfect cool complement to the spicy Fired-Up Mixed Grill. The fresh flavors from the produce brighten up this wholesome grain resulting in a refreshing and tasty salad. It’s an easy and affordable salad to make – a little couscous goes a long way!
GRILLED POUND CAKE ALA MODE: We love this dessert because it’s so simple to make, but looks so special (and it tastes just as special.) The grilled pound cake serves as the base – its crunchy exterior hides a soft buttery interior, both tastes and textures are equally delicious in combination with the refreshing sweet flavors of the berries and the creamy rich ice cream.
GENERAL BBQ PARTY TIPS
- Make sure your grill is working properly in advance of your party. Don’t forget to check the level of your propane tank.
- Before preheating your grill, brush off any residue on the cooking grates and grease them sufficiently so your food won’t stick.
- Have a plan for keeping any young guests away from the grilling area.
- Ice, Ice and more Ice: There’s nothing worse than lukewarm or hot beverages on a hot day. Make sure you have more than enough ice to continually replenish the supply. General rule of thumb is 2 lbs. of ice per person.
- Hydrate your guests: Have plenty of non alcoholic beverages on hand – make sure to consider all your guests: adults, children, elderly.
- If your yard offers no shade, create some with a few umbrellas. You can also purchase a fan or two that mists while it cools – now that’s cool!
- Use Vinegarette, not Mayonnaise to dress salads – mayo can spoil quickly when temperatures are soaring.
- Don’t set up your buffet table in the direct sunlight; use either natural shade or an umbrella as a buffer. Don’t leave food out on buffet table longer than necessary – follow safety guidelines.
- For those sun lovers who forgot to put lotion on at home, put out some spray suntan lotion for easy and convenient protection from the sun.