Fresh fruit is a welcomed treat throughout the summer. Who doesn’t love the traditional mixed fruit in the watermelon basket – surely a summer staple. However, by using the same ingredients you would for a fruit salad, along with bamboo skewers from your pantry, you can add more fun to your fruit and put it in the spotlight. It’s so simple (and fun) to transform ordinary fruit into a focal point of your party.
A Few Notes
- When designing your fresh fruit bar, be creative; but remember to use fruit that is conducive to “building” (don’t use fruit that will turn brown when peeled/cut or won’t hold its shape).
- For inspiration, take a look at I created three different fruit features, each with their own personality and appeal. what I made using: 1 pineapple, 1 cantaloupe, 1 mini-watermelon, 2-16 oz. container strawberries, 1 half pint blueberries and an assortment of skewers from my pantry. BTW: all the fruit was on special so my materials were less than $18!
- Also, remember to base your amount of materials on your number of guests – my fruit bar served 10 guests.
Bonuses: In addition to changing up the traditional fruit salad display, there are several hidden bonuses in this fun preparation/display:
- Stretch your dollar and use this as a centerpiece and dessert/side dish in 1!
- Stretch your fruit by displaying each piece as an individual serving – a melon ball or strawberry looks and tastes far more special when it’s served in this manner. Feel “eco-friendly” by using biodegradable fruit bowls as your serving dish, plus less dishes to wash after the party!
- Get the kids involved in the party prep. An adult can cut the fruit in half, cut the pineapple and make the melon balls and then let the kids construct. As always, just make sure whoever is handling the food washes their hands thoroughly – food prep gloves are always a great option!
- Finally, it’s just FUN!!!
Strawberry Pineapple Boat
Feature summer’s fabulous color combination of strawberry red and golden pineapple in this fun creation. The pineapple boat adds a touch of exotic flair!
- 1 large pineapple
- 1 16 oz. container strawberries
- 4” Knotted bamboo skewers
- Cut pineapple in half lengthwise.
- Set aside one half for use in Tangy Fresh Fruit Salad (see recipe below).
- Rinse and dry strawberries.
- Thread strawberries onto skewers.
- Arrange skewers securely in pineapple boat.
Mod Melon Pops
Nothing says summer like melon and this hot color combination of pink and orange. These Mod Melon Pops add instant whimsy to your fruit bar. Don’t they actually look more appetizing and a whole lot more refreshing than a lollipop
- 1 large cantaloupe
- 1 mini watermelon
- 1 lemon
- Assorted bamboo skewers (I used 10”, 8”, 6” and 4” knotted)
- Wash thoroughly outside of cantaloupe and dry.
- Cut cantaloupe in half, scoop out seeds from both halves.
- Using a 1 Tbs. scoop, make melons balls from one half of cantaloupe (the other half will be used as foundation for this display.) Set aside.
- Wash thoroughly outside of watermelon and dry.
- Cut watermelon in half. Using 1 Tbs. scoop, make melon balls from both halves. Set aside.
- Take “unscooped” half of cantaloupe and cut a slice off the bottom, so it will sit flat. (FYI: I used the half of the cantaloupe instead of the watermelon, because of the “well” in the middle of the cantaloupe which will serve to collect any juice that drips from the pops once displayed).
- Using an assortment of skewers, create melon pops by simply inserting skewers into bottom of melon balls. Then arrange skewer in melon creating a colorful and fun display.
Tangy Fresh Fruit Salad
This last selection uses up any remaining “materials” while paying homage to the inspiration for this fresh fruit bar. I added a twist by introducing fresh lemon juice to brighten up the salad and dressed it with skewered pineapple.
- Unused watermelon and cantaloupe balls from Mod Melon Pops
- Sliced strawberries (rinsed and dried)
- Blueberries (rinsed and dried)
- Large chunks of pineapple from _ pineapple
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cleaned out half of watermelon (cut a slice off bottom, so bowl sits flat)
- 4” Knotted bamboo skewers
1. Combine all fruit (except pineapple) and gently mix in lemon juice to cover all fruit. Pour into watermelon bowl and set aside.
2. Skewer chunks of pineapple and insert into fruit salad.