Check out our summery sailboat party dessert.
It’s perfect for Birthday Parties, Outdoor BBQs and really any day you feel like making a little more special. These are simple to make and inexpensive too. Elizabeth made these for her son and daughter’s birthday celebration. It was a family party with lots of kids in attendance, but from what I hear, the Jello Sailboats were a hit with the adults too and her 2 teen children! I love this idea for parties, these sweet sailboats are colorful, look great on the table, and who doesn’t love jello. They make a perfect treat for kids with nut and dairy allergies too.
- 3 large oranges
- 1 box jello
- 18 sail “picks” (Elizabeth found these at Marshall’s and Home Goods)
- Cut oranges in half. Juice oranges (refrigerate fresh orange juice and use later to shake up some adult treats – California Margaritas).
- Using the tip of a spoon, peel away remaining fruit inside orange and discard, leaving white pith of orange.
- Place “orange cup” in cupcake tin. Repeat process with remaining orange halves.
- Prepare jello according to directions and pour into orange cups, fill just to top of cup. Do not overfill. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Remove jello filled orange cup from tin and cut into 3 wedges. Insert sail in each, anchor pick in orange peel. Repeat with remaining cups. Place on platter and serve.
- Note: I purchased the sail party picks, however, I have made these using self-constructed sails. Simply cut sails from colored paper and tape to skewers.