Last night Elizabeth and I, along with Beth Feldman (rolemommy.com) hosted a Ladies Night In with Food Network Chef Marcela Valladolid. The idea behind the event was to show you how to put a new spin on ladies night and share some very special culinary cocktail and food recipes from Chef Marcela, host of Mexican Made Easy and author of the cookbook FRESH MEXICO: 100 Simple Recipes for True Mexican Flavor. The recipes she shared with us all featured Sauza tequila, which I am happy to say enhanced the flavor and the mood of the party!
In addition to our party, we had regional party hosts, who you can find on Twitter at @bethrosen @tjstaab and @momspective . Each of these fabulous women had their gal pals in for their own Ladies Night In via Chicago, San Diego and North Carolina! Plus so many joined us virtually in the chat room and on twitter. Over 113,000 participants in all! Here’s a peek at our party as we broadcast it LIVE from my house with special food and cocktail demonstrations from Chef Marcela! ( You’ll need to fast forward at times.)
Ladies Night In with Chef Marcela Valladolid .
In no particular order: Beth Felman – RoleMommy, Nancy Friedman – FromHip2House, Rebecca Levey – Beccarama, Kimberly Coleman – MomintheCity, Melissa Chapman – Kids in the City, Babble, She Knows, Liz Thompson – This Full House, Katja Presnal – Skimbaco Lifestyle, Zareen Fidlon – Mommies with Style & Cooking With Z & Philly Burb Mom, Melissa Anglert – Girly Mama, Deborah Smith – Jersey Bites, Elizabeth Norton – CapeMayCounty Moms, Party Planning Professor and MomTV , Chef Marcela Valladolid, Dawn and Elizabeth.
Next time you and your friends plan a ladies night, try this twist on the traditional and make it modern. Hold off on the wine and cheese for this party and turn up the heat with these fabulous recipes and tips featuring tequila and Mexican cuisine!
1. Start by hosting it in not out. Inviting your friends into your home makes the night more personal, eating out can get expensive and when dinner is over so is your night. You don’t need to host this party as a sit down dinner, you can create a cozy spot that’s conducive to conversation anywhere in your home – make sure you have ample seating and plenty of places to set down drinks and food. Bring in pillows and chairs from other rooms in your home if you have to and create a spot that is ladies-only for the night.
Warm Winter Margarita
2. Try something NEW on Ladies Night and serve tequila based culinary cocktails that are made with authentic Mexican recipes and incorporate fresh ingredients. You’ll be surprised how quickly your perception of tequila will change and like me, may even serve some up with your holiday meals this year.
Pick one or two recipes as your signature cocktail for the evening (recipes by Chef Marcela for the ladies). Each is distinctive and has unique flavor, so it’s easy to find one that suits your style.
- Grapefruit Margarita – Sophisticated sweet and tangy flavor.
- Citrus Cooler Margarita – The Crowd Favorite! Perfect blend of wine and tequila and lime.
- Mint Berry Margarita – Sweet and sour and very refreshing.
- Warm Winter Margarita - My Favorite! Warms you from the inside out, like a hug from grandma (recipe from Marcela’s Grandma)
3. Serve up traditional Mexican fare that represents the true flavors of this region with recipes from Chef Marcela. You can find 4 fabulous recipes for your Ladies Night In on the Sauza Facebook page> . We served 3 of them at our Ladies Night In and discovered that cooking with tequila not only moisturizes your meat it adds a wonderful agave flavor to the food. Each of these recipes are seriously out of this world and you can make most of it ahead of your guests arrival – simple and special the way we like it!
- Apricot-Tequila Drumsticks – This is crazy good food!
- Tequila Lime Shrimp - Fabulous flavor and you get to flambé!
- Tequila Lime Chicken Tacos – A traditional Mexican taco with authentic flavor
4. Don’t forget the special touches like a great music mix and a pretty tablescape. On our table and bar area, we incorporated the ingredients in the cocktails, like lime and grapefruit as well as red Dalias for a pretty, colorful and feminine feel. Red is a great color to use for this party and works well in any season as well as the holidays. Use what you have around the house and borrow to fill in what you don’t have.
5. Always offer non-alcoholic beverages, designate a driver and drink responsibly.