Below we have listed a few Memorial Day party activities for the kids that are fun and meaningful. Without the sacrifice of our brave soldiers, we would not have an opportunity to celebrate this holiday as freely as we wish. With that in mind try out these fun ideas and let your red, white and blue spirit shine…
How happy are you when you arrive at a party and there’s an activity all set up and ready for the kids to dive into? Depending on the age of the children, you may need to walk them over and introduce them to the activity and other children. This instant icebreaker allows the children to get comfortable and make some “party friends” – once they connect they’ll play all party long.
Package some patriotic love and gratitude and send it overseas.
- Cover the kids’ tables (or activity table) with white butcher paper. Create centerpieces using galvanized buckets filled with crayons, markers and stickers. Put out other fun craft supplies along with red, white and blue construction paper. Ask everyone, even the adults to write a letter or make a card for a soldier. The following day, pack up the letters and cards in a large envelope and send them overseas. Here are some tips on how to send:
- Go> http://www.penpalsforsoldiers.org
Express your patriotism with a parade
- Prepare an area filled with props and instruments for a parade. Gather the kids and make sure all select a prop (pinwheels, flags, hats) and/or instrument (drums, kazoos, plastic flutes and bells). Have a patriotic playlist ready to go, organize your parade (plan a parade route around the yard), hit the play button and let them march. You may need a Grand Marshall to lead the parade, so get an older child or adult who likes to have some fun and give them their marching orders – make sure to give them a great hat and instrument.
- Flags for Parade – http://www.americanflags.com/sahafl.html Looking for a little more safety when distributing handheld flags? Then try the Saf-T-Ball flags, which come with a red ball topper rather than a traditional speartop.
Pick Patriotic Tunes
- Patriotic Fathers Album: 4th of July Go to > (enter Patriotic Fathers in the search field)- Perfect for a parade!
- Born in the USA – Bruce Springsteen
- American Girl – Tom Petty
- All American Man – Kiss
- R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A. - John Mellencamp
- All American Girl – Carrie Underwood
- American Baby – Dave Mathews
- God Bless the U.S.A. – Lee Greenwood
- Surfin’ USA – The Beach Boys
- Back in the U.S.A. – Chuck Berry
- American Pie – Don McLean
- America – Simon & Garfunkel
- Living in the U.S.A. – Steve Miller Band
- We’re an American Band – Grand Funk Railroad
- American Land – Bruce Springsteen
- Bon Jovi – Miss Fourth of July
- American Made – George Thorogood
- Freedom – The Isley Brothers
- America the Beautiful – Ray Charles
You can enter any of these songs in the search field on iTunes to buy and create your own playlist. Go to >
Other Great Picnic Activities
IMAGE ABOVE: COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Bo Iacobbo, age 5, of Colorado Springs, proudly waves his flag in a parade (U.S. Air Force photo/Lorna Gutierrez) http://www.brookhillchurch.com/vets/