Outdoor Movie Night is a family friendly party idea that won’t put stress on you or your wallet! Show a good movie, create a simple concession stand and ask your guests to bring a lawn chair or blanket to sit on. With the stars in the sky and on the screen, this party doesn’t require decorations – a simple string of white lights near your concession stand is all you need. The hardest part takes some technical knowledge but with the right set up this is a snap!
6 S’s 4 Success!
1. Send an invitation: Include date, time, the movie you’ll be viewing and RSVP information. Ask your guests to bring a lawn chair or blanket to sit on. You can create an invite that looks like a movie ticket with all the necessary information. Let the kids help with this and have some fun!
2. Seating: Lawn chairs, blankets, pillows, and even sleeping bags for the kids are perfect for watching an outdoor movie. When your guests arrive, send the children to the front with blankets and sleeping bags then create rows of chairs behind going from lowest in front to highest in back. This way everyone can see and enjoy the movie.
3. Sound and Projection System – You’ll need a theater system including a DVD player, projector and speakers and remember they need to be loud enough for outdoors. If you don’t own one and can’t borrow one from a friend or family member, try renting one. For the screen simply use a light-colored wall, maybe the side of your house or garage or hang a flat white sheet. The sheet should be at least queen-size. You can use tacks or a staple gun to attach it a garage door or fence. Hang it high enough for everyone to see – 8 ft is a good height. I found a wonderful resource for technical issue at http://backyardtheater.com .
4. Select a Movie that is suitable for all ages. Take your audience into consideration and make sure to pick a flick that not only kids but grown-ups will enjoy. The classics are always good, like Willie Wonka, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or E.T to name a few. If you are looking for something current try Walmart’s New Releases: Secrets Of The Mountain and The Jensen Project. This may be a 1st watch for your guests and that will create some buzz. We viewed both and I recommend either one for a movie party.
5. Serve Snacks and Drinks: Keep it simple but make it special. Go with movie theater favorites like popcorn and candy but make sure to add a featured dessert that will wow your guests. S’mores are a summer favorite but are not conducive to movie night, so try our twist on this traditional treat and serve up Hershey’s Syrup Deconstructed S’mores. You can eat these with a spoon so that your eyes stay on the screen. They were a huge hit at our movie party! Hershey’s Syrup Egg Creams are another super movie snack because you can easily view and sip on chocolaty goodness with a straw. What’s more simple than that? Finally for an over the top treat, try squeezing some Hershey’s Syrup on Kettle Corn – it’s delicious ! See the Recipes Post for details on all 3 Hershey’s Movie Night Treats go > (link to recipe post)
6. Simple and Special are the 2 rules for this party!
Extra Tip: Make sure mosquitoes are not welcome at Movie Night. Put out insect repellent for your guests to use and scatter citronella candles throughout the viewing area.