Picture above Mark Addison>
Whether it’s a cocktail party with friends, dinner with your significant other or hosting the whole family for a holiday feast, at home entertaining is a great way for those you love to come together over good food and drinks. But few of us have the hours needed to get the job done – and perhaps the least favorite job is tackling the prep and clean-up, even if that means taking a few shortcuts. At-home cleaning and entertaining secrets from the point of view of party hosts and guests were revealed in a recent survey by Wakefield Research for OxiClean. (visit the site to see OxiClean’s newest products)
Dissecting the Dinner Party
- 84% of party hosts have purchased disposable dishware because they didn’t want to do the dishes afterward.
- The majority of respondents (69%) prefer party guests who stay late to help clean up verses guests who arrive early to help with the prep.
- The refrigerator (28%), medicine cabinet (25%) and bedroom (19%) are the top 3 places guests snoop when visiting someone’s home.
- Nearly 50% of Millennials have left a party early because they didn’t want to help with the cleanup.
- The top 2 foulest “party fouls” are clogging the toilet (38%) and not washing hands before serving food (36%).
- Most Millennials (60%) agree that the bar for throwing a party is set higher now due to Pinterest.
Dirty Little Home Secrets
- Half of Americans (50%) have simply thrown away a dish because they didn’t feel like cleaning it.
- 65% of people say their significant other creates the bigger mess in their home.
- 42% of Americans currently have “hidden messes” in their homes, i.e. a furniture stain or marks on the wall.
- Nearly 1 in 4 Americans (22%) agree that doing the dishes is the chore that they dread the most, only followed by cleaning out the refrigerator (46%).
- According to parents, the 3 chores children help with the most are: taking out the trash (52%), vacuuming (42%) and doing the dishes (43%).
With these in mind the talented Mark Addison teamed up with OxiClean at a New York City event last week to share his tricks of the trade and tools for easy at home entertaining with a Bloody Mary & Egg Bar. We think it’s just perfect for an Easter or a spring brunch and are excited to share them as well as some pictures from the event below. Hope you enjoy and be sure to check out more recipes at www.markaddison.com>
Bloody Mary Bar: Brunch’s best friend is the Bloody Mary Bar – it’s the #1 brunch beverage.
With so many versions and styles of the Bloody Mary, why not let your guests decide for themselves how they want their drinks? Set up an array of ingredients – spices, flavors, and garnishes, borrowing from different cultures.
1. Start with a base: Tomato juice, V8, pre-made Bloody Mary mixes.
2. Add classic ingredients: Horseradish, Worcestershire, lime juice, hot sauce, cracked pepper
3. Choose your liquor: have a variety of infusions and flavors of Vodka, tequila, and gin for your guests to choose from.
- Vodka = Classic Bloody Mary
- Tequila = Bloody Maria
- Gin = Bloody Margaret
- Sake = Bloody Geisha
- Home-made Bacon Infused Vodka = Bacon Mary
- Non-alcoholic = Bloody Shame
4. Rims: meat rubs, salts, etc.
5. Garnishes: have fun with these! Everything but the kitchen sink… or celery! Salad on a stick – create stir sticks with onions, limes, dill pickles, shrimp, lemons, green onions, carrots, slim jims, bacon – any number of delicious condiments to turn your drink into a meal!
Start with a basic egg quiche, cut into bars, and create a toppings bar so your guests can dress theirs up – it’ll give them a variety of taste with minimal work! Put out a spread of toppings – just like the Bloody Mary Bar… the more fixings the better! Try these egg and Bloody Mary pairings below
American – To go with Classic Bloody Mary
- Cheddar Cheese
- Bacon Bits
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Scallions
English – To go with Bloody Margaret
- Crème Fraiche
- Salmon Roe
Asian – To go with Bloody Geisha
- Baby Corn (chopped)
- Ponzu Sauce
- Shiitake Mushrooms
- Black and white sesame seeds
- Bean Sprouts
all star party line-up…