Going Chinese is a delicious and easy way to spice up a BBQ when you’re tired of Hamburgers and Hot Dogs – but still don’t want to spend all day preparing for a party. Here’s an idea that will keep you out in the sun and having fun, yet still allow you to entertain in a special way the same day!
What to serve:
Sesame-Garlic Flank Steak
- 1 beef flank steak ( about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
1. Score the steak in a diamond pattern on both sides; place in a large resealable food storage bag.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl; pour over steak in bag and seal. Turn to coat completely. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hour. Turn at least once. Drain steak; reserve marinade
3. Grill over medium heat 13 to 18 minutes fro medium-rare to medium or until desired doneness, turning and brushing with marinade halfway through cooking. Discard remaining marinade.
4. Transfer steak to cutting board; carve across the grain into thin slices.
- Serve with sides from your favorite Chinese restaurant. Make sure to transfer the sides to your own bowls/platters and serve family style with steak right off the grill!
- Keeping with the theme, create a simple dessert bar with Chinese flavored sorbets. Ciao Bella has a great selection. Tangerine, Mandarin, and Pomegranate (Chinese Apple) are delicious Chinese fruit flavors. Guests can pick one, two or three to enjoy individually or blended. Add a plate of sliced oranges and fortune cookies for variety and crunch.
If you have the time and inclination take your BBQ to another level with these tips.
- Serve up Tsingtao, an authentic Chinese Beer
- Dish up your Chinese BBQ on Bamboo disposable plates. We love Bambu All-Occasion Veneerware.
- String up Chinese lanterns. You’ll be amazed how a string of lanterns can create a totally festive vibe.