With Easter around the corner and spring celebrations filling up the calendar, we were eager to share this special carrot salad recipe from Svitlana Flom.
Svitlana is the editor-in-chief of Art de Fete (www.artdefete.com), a website that’s a feast for your eyes. It’s a wonderful resource for women looking for special ways to transform their home décor from ordinary to extraordinary. It also offers illustrated tips, including sophisticated table settings, colorful springtime floral arrangements and easy healthy recipes. We have posted this amazing Carrot & Mushroom Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette below, but for a fully illustrated tutorial visit Art De Fete here> We hope you enjoy this treat!
Carrot & Mushroom Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
For the salad
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 12 oz. gourmet mushrooms (Alba Clamshell and/or Brown Clamshell varieties from Mycopia)
- 1/3 small red onion, finely sliced (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup pistachio or walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 5 cilantro sprigs, leaves separated
- Pinch of cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Lemon/Mustard Vinaigrette (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 3/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil (not peppery)
- Spiral slicer “Paderno Spiralized machine” or vegetable peeler
- Nuts: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spread the nuts in a single layer and toast for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden. Let cool, and then chop coarsely.
- Mushrooms: Blanch the mushrooms in well salted water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and let cool completely.
- Vinaigrette: Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, zest, mustard, garlic, pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper together. Then add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly until the vinaigrette is well blended. You will get approximately ½ cup, but for this salad you only need 5-6 tablespoons. Let it stand for at least 30 minutes before using it, to let the garlic flavor blend in and mellow. Keep the rest of this vinaigrette for up to 2 weeks refrigerated.
- Carrots with Spiral Slicer: Insert a shredder blade for cutting long, spaghetti-like spiral strands into Paderno Spiralized machine. Cut the carrots in half and secure in between the blade and its handle, slowly make spiral cuts. If the cuts are too long, simply break them in half so it is easier to eat. With the knife: Slice carrots into long thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler or a very sharp knife, then either cut the ribbons lengthwise into thin strips or simply keep the ribbons intact. You can also try cutting the carrots into thin coins.
- Combine carrots, mushrooms, onion and parsley, add vinaigrette and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let it sit at room temperature for at least 2 hours or overnight in the fridge. Spread the salad onto a serving platter, season with spices and decorate with cilantro leaves and nuts.