Disclosure: I partnered with The Mills At Jersey Gardens for this post. All opinions are expressly my own.
Last week I was invited to participate in the Back To School Blogger Shopping event at The Mills At Jersey Gardens here in New Jersey.
As part of the event we were able to tour the mall, get some great tips on this year’s Back-To-School trends from fashion and lifestyle blogger Corine Ingrassia of Complicated Mama and receive some sound advice on clever ways to save from nationally recognized consumer and money-saving expert Andrea Worwoch.With one son headed to college and the other two to High School, I was happy to learn the best ways to save time and money. I can’t wait to head back and start some early holiday shopping!
I picked up vans for my three boys and a Vince Camuto winter jacket for me in my role as “Hockey Mom”. I was thrilled with the outlet prices, plus deals on top of them.
I picked up a $5 coupon book that is sold at The Mills At Jersey Gardens for extra savings. It more than paid for itself during my first visit at which I saved over $100!
My gorgeous Vince Camuto jacket (below) retails regularly $198 plus tax. I was able to score mine for $119 – over $75 OFF! I will be able to look good and feel warm at the rink, where I spend a great deal of time from September – March. The Vans were also a great deal. I was able to buy 3 pairs for $112 saving me $35+ from retail price!
Back-To-School Style Tips and trends from Corine Ingrassia:
Plan To Layer. Layering allows you to mix, match and stretch some of your kid’s favorite summer styles long into fall. Think: cardigans paired with swing dresses, hoodies peeking through denim or leather moto jackets, crop tops over chambray button downs.
2. Choose quality over quantity. While we all love a good bargain, but with all the wear and tear kids give their clothes we ultimately need them to wear well. Look for sales on brands you know will last the long haul.
3. Know your kid’s personal style. When kids are little, we as parents have more say in what they wear, but as they reach the tween years, kids develop their own sense of style(for better or for worse). Talk to them about what they like and don’t like because they only thing worse than return lines is investing in something that they won’t wear.
4. Mix It – Don’t Match It! Polka dots and stripes? Yes! Plaids with florals? Yup! Neons with fall neutrals? Do it!
5. Bye-Bye Laces! If there is one thing to be sure about this year, it is that tying your shoes in NOT cool. This year’s shoe trend is all about rocking your kicks sans clumsy laces!
6. The Year Of The Jogger. Comfy like a favorite pair of sweats, “dressy” enough to pull off on non-gym days – jogger pants are “on fleek” this fall! This is the #1 trend of the season!
BACK-TO-SCHOOL Money Saving Tips FROM andrea woroch:
Shopping for back-to-school is still on parents’ to-do lists, with nearly half of all parents admitting they haven’t started the task yet. To help you save on essentials like supplies, apparel and backpacks, Andrea offers her advice to ABC 7’s Nina Pineda. Watch here>
For those of you who live in the tri-state area ( NY, NJ CT) and can shop at The Mills At Jersey Gardens here are some great insider tips. I highly recommend a visit!
- Be sure to check out Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5th for super-secret deals on Ugg boots for kids –you won’t find a better price if you don’t have your heart set on a specific color.
- Kidstown is the top secret place to find brand names for kids—they regularly carry merchandise from Justice, Gap Kids, etc. Big find: two pair of Justice sweatpants, three Justice t-shirts, two Justice tanks for $21!
- Be sure to check out Century 21—you may get lucky and find a great pair of Manolo Blahniks or Jimmy Choos!
- Our Modell’s has a huge clearance section—much larger than a typical Modell’s. Big find: Nike soccer cleats for $10!
- Forever 21 – is the place to go for unique, trendy kids clothing at great prices; they also now carry uniforms. Big find: romper shorts for $6!
- Marshall’s is the place for lots of great finds—but especially if you are looking for brand name, high-end athletic apparel Big find: Athleta outfit for less than half off the catalog price!
- Burlington Coat Factory—Michael Kors and Gucci bags at the lowest prices in the mall!