The Mint Julep has been the traditional beverage of Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby for nearly a century.
And they’re off! Together these words start what has come to be known as the most exciting two minutes in sports. Saturday, May 7nd, 2016 will mark the 142th “run for the roses”. The Kentucky Derby is the perfect time to gather family and friends for some fun. Host a party but keep it simple by inviting guests over to enjoy the race and a cocktail, 2 hours is perfect.
Make it special by serving Mint Juleps, the mandatory Derby cocktail. Each year, almost 120,000 Early Times Mint Juleps are served over the two-day period of Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby weekend at Churchill Downs Racetrack. It’s a feat that requires more than 10,000 bottles Mint Julep Ready-to-Serve Cocktail, 1,000 pounds of freshly harvested mint and 60,000 pounds of ice.
Here’s how to make your own at home!
The Classic Mint Julep Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Crushed ice
- Your favorite whisky
- Silver Julep Cups
- Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes.
- Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight.
- Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of whisky.
- Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
Please remember to drink and serve responsibly.