August 3rd is National Watermelon Day. To celebrate this delicious fruit, we’re sharing some fun facts and a refreshing recipe to stay cool and hydrated. Watermelon is considered the unofficial fruit of summer—it holds more than 91% water and can cool off a crowd at your next party.
- Over 1,200 varieties of watermelon are grown worldwide
- Every part of a watermelon is edible—even the seeds and rinds
- Watermelon is a fruit and a vegetable—related to cucumbers, pumpkin and squash
- Some watermelons are yellow, and have a sweeter, more honey-like flavor than the pink-fleshed kind
Sparkling Watermelon Vodka Lemonade
- 3 Cups seedless watermelon pieces
- 3 Lemons, juiced
- 1/2 Cup Vodka
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Mint
- 2 Cups Lemon Lime Sparkling Ice
In a blender, puree the watermelon and lemon juice, strain through a sieve into a drink pitcher. Add mint, vodka and Lemon Lime Sparkling Ice, then stir. Serve over ice and garnish with fresh mint.