Tomatoes and mozzarella with olive oil and basil is a simple and special summer treat, that sends me to the moon! Caprese Salad or Insalata Caprese originates from the isle of Capri in Italy. Since there are only three ingredients in this salad, the focus is on fresh. Tomato and basil season, so this shouldn’t be a problem (just remember to keep the tomatoes out of the fridge). Serve the salad on a large platter or on individual small plates, whichever you prefer. If you like, you can put out small condiment bowls with olives and salted capers for added flavor. I love my Caprese Salad straight up with some fresh bread. It makes a wonderful mid-day snack or light lunch and pairs well with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.
I am picking fresh basil from our garden for the salad, still waiting on our tomatoes! Come check out my video journal of our garden here>
Caprese Salad Recipe, Serves 6-8
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, fresh picked not refrigerated
- 1 lb. Fresh mozzarella
- 10 Fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil, or to taste
- Course Pepper and Salt
- Slice the tomatoes into rounds .
- Slice the mozzarella into rounds and lay them over the tomatoes.
- Season with the olive oil, basil, and a little salt and pepper.