It’s time for Friday Night Bites and this week we’re sharing just that – BITES! These bites are packed with flavor and make a perfect appetizer. They’re easy to make, but still special and delicious to serve with cocktails before sitting down to dinner. You can also enjoy them before heading out to dinner. It’s smart to mix and match the way you entertain: if you’re heading out, kick off the evening in your home with a “bite”, it can extend and personalize the night.
Mini Sausage Cups Appetizer
Author: Elizabeth Mascali
Recipe type: appetizer
Serves: makes 30 bites
- 5 hot chicken sausage links (you can substitute any type of sausage)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 pkgs. (15 shells/pkg.) mini fillo shells
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- Remove sausage from casing and crumble into sauté pan. Cook on medium heat until browned and cooked through. Remove sausage from pan and allow to drain in paper towel lined bowl.
- Empty peppers, onion and garlic into sauté pan you cooked sausage in – there should be enough grease from the sausage to sauté the veggies. Season with salt and pepper and cook on medium heat until onions are translucent. Stir in sausage. (Note: you can prepare up through this step ahead of time and refrigerate).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350° and remove shells from package, place them on a rimmed baking sheet (before careful if using a non-rimmed baking sheet that they don’t slide of the sheet when you’re moving them from the counter to oven and vice versa).
- Using a spoon or a 1½” mini ice cream scoop, fill each mini fillo shell with sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in oven for 5-8 minutes.
Enjoy and cheers to the weekend! Friday Night Bites is a weekly food series from the Partybluprints Blog.