With warm weather back again, it’s the perfect time to share this delicious party appetizer from the talented Andrea Correale, president and owner of Elegant Affairs Catering. You can prepare this special dish ahead of time, pop it on the grill when guests arrive, and serve it hot in minutes. Everyone will love this treat with some sweet heat!
Chilled & Grilled Shrimp with Mango Salsa
- 2 cups of olive oil
- 8- cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½- teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined (20-24 shrimp)
For the Salsa
- 2- ripe mangoes
- 6- green onions, including tender green tops, thinly sliced
- 2- fresh jalapeno chili peppers, stemmed, seeded (if desired) and finely diced
- ¼- cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- 1- teaspoon salt
- In a frying pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat, pour into a shallow non-aluminum dish and let cool. Add the lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Using bamboo skewers, thread 4-5 shrimp onto each skewer, passing the skewer through points near both the head and tail sections of each shrimp. Place the skewers in the olive oil mixture, turning to coat evenly. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Peel each mango and cut the flesh from the pit. Cut into ¼ inch dice and place in a bowl. Add the green onions, chilies, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Stir to mix, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Prepare grill and spray grill rack with grapeseed oil .
- When the grill is hot, place the shrimp skewers on the grill rack and grill, turning once, until the shrimp turn pink and are opaque throughout, about 3 minutes per side.
Take shrimp off the skewers and plate on a large platter. Sit bowl with salsa on the platter. Put out appetizer plates and small forks and invite guests help themselves and enjoy!