Tomatoes are in season; and here in NJ we have some of the best. To make the most of this fresh farm fare, try this simple but very special appetizer at your next dinner party or summer celebration. It’s a stand-up version of Caprese Salad!
Stacked Summer Tomato and Mozzarella Appetizer
makes 1 appetizer
- 1 large tomato, washed and dried.
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella (ball or log shape)
- 2 to fresh Basil leaves
- Course Salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste
To make the stacked tomatoes and mozzarella:
- Cut the tomato crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Cut the mozzarella crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Stack the tomato slices and mozzarella, seasoning each slice of tomato with salt and pepper. You want to put the tomato back together, with slices of mozzarella in between each layer, finishing with with the top of the tomato. Leave the stem and any green on the top slice of the tomato.
- Garnish with 2 basil leaves.
- Serve with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar so that individuals can drizzle desired amount.