Last spring while at my friends Jackie and Pete’s house for a BBQ, I was introduced to Bessie’s Bean Dip. When Bessie walked into the party, all eyes went to the dish she was carrying, with hopes she had brought her famous dip. Indeed she had and I got my first taste of her recipe which is really more like chili . Let’s just say it was one of those Ah-Ha food moments you get every once in a blue moon. Not only did I love Bessie’s special recipe, so did my husband and my 3 boys. SCORE! This one goes on the keeper list and of course I had to share it with you. A tip from Bessie: serve the dip inside soft warm tortillas with lettuce & tomato for a dish the family will devourer. Enjoy!
Bessie’s Bean Dip prep: 15 minutes
- 1 lb ground beef, chicken or turkey (chicken or turkey is better)
- 1 can of tomato soup
- 1 cup of salsa – choice of flavor (I prefer peach mango)
- 1 can of rinsed and drained beans – choice of white, cannellini, red, kidney, etc
- 1 (8oz) pkg of shredded cheese – choice of cheddar, mozzarella, monterey jack, etc half for cooking and half for topping
- In skillet, brown meat till there is no liquid, add rest of ingredients, mix occasionally and let sit in pan over medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes or until warmed thoroughly.
- Put in serving bowl and sprinkle remaining cheese to garnish to serve as dip with tortilla chips or crackers. Options to serve in soft tortilla with lettuce & tomato or over salad. * I would also add chopped green onion or chives as garnish
Unfortunately, I did not make Bessie’s Bean Dip today so the image above comes from the Touchdown chili post.