Although it seems Spring will never arrive, it’s just a few weeks away. While we wait for all the snow and ice to melt and the temperature to start climbing again, why not enjoy a taste of spring. Swap the cheese and pepperoni pizza you ate all winter for a lighter option. This Asparagus & Onion flatbread pizza is a delicious and healthier option, plus it’s so easy to make. Hope you try it in your home!
Asparagus & Onion Flatbread Pizza
- Prepared flatbread pizza crust (quality brick oven baked: Wegman’s sells them)
- 2 spears asparagus
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 1/3 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 2 yellow wax pepper or banana pepper
- olive oil
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat, and add the sliced onions and yellow wax pepper, seasoned with salt and pepper until they are just barely starting to brown; they should be soft and sweet
- Blanch asparagus: add to a pan of boiling water (a frying pan works best) and cook for 2 minutes or until bright green, then run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Using a sharp knife, or vegetable peeler, cut the asparagus into long thin strips
- Preheat the oven to 450 with a pizza stone.
- Lightly drizzle the flatbread with olive oil and top with asparagus, onions and peppers
- Season with salt and pepper, and then top with a thin layer of the gruyere cheese
- Put the flatbread pizza on the pizza stone and bake for 7 – 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the pizza is crisp
- Remove from the oven, slice and serve
Note: For a more savory pizza, top with crisp bacon bits after cooking.