Fresh asparagus is in season, so make the most of it with this fabulous recipe.
Asparagus is available year-round, but spring is the best season for buying is at its freshest. Crops are harvested from late February to June. So before time runs out, showcase these gorgeous green stalks at your dinner or party table. We have the perfect way to do it with a recipe from Veronica Bosgraaf’s Pure Kitchen Cookbook 2014. As a mom, Veronica Bosgraaf won’t compromise on fresh food. Her grandma used to say “eat things as close to their natural state as possible”. This is why she chooses simple ingredients from the earth and has featured them in several delicious recipes like one are pleased to share below.
Asparagus with Tumeric Spiced Almonds
Recipe is an Excerpted with permission. Pure Food: Eat Clean with Seasonal, Plant-Based Recipes by Veronica Bosgraaf. Published by Clarkson Potter, 2015. Photographs by Quentin Bacon.
(Serves 4 to 5)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, plus more for pan
1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 pound asparagus, tough stems removed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a baking sheet with oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the agave, turmeric, salt, and cumin. Add the almonds and stir gently to coat. Spread the almonds on the prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly golden, about 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet set over medium heat. Add the asparagus and cook, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a serving dish. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and then the almond mixture.