A dessert that’s a chocolate lover’s DREAM!
Cakes are special. Every birthday, every celebration ends with something sweet, a cake, and people remember. It’s all about the memories. – Buddy Valastro
We couldn’t agree more and wanted to share Elizabeth’s special recipe for Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes. It’s been a favorite in our homes for years now. If you are looking to indulge in chocolate or celebrate the birthday of a chocolate lover, this cake will do the trick. When you dig into the middle of these individual dark chocolate cakes you will discover they are filled with gooey chocolate. Top with fresh fruit, like raspberries and you have a treat that’s over the top!
Molten Lava Cakes
Author: Elizabeth Mascali
- 2 sticks softened unsalted butter
- 1 8 oz. pkg. baking chocolate unsweetened squares
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tsp. all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- Grease ramekins with butter and dust with cocoa powder, gently empty out excess cocoa. Place ramekins on rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Fill saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil on stove. Empty chocolate squares and butter into a glass bowl and place glass bowl on top of a saucepan, creating a “double-boiler”. The bottom of the glass bowl should not touch the water – you want to use the heat/steam from the water to melt the chocolate and butter. Turn heat down to a simmer and stir chocolate and butter until they are fully incorporated and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
- In mixer, add 4 eggs, 4 egg yolks and sugar. Beat until mixture is pale yellow and light and fluffy.
- Turn mixer down to medium-low speed and pour in chocolate mixture, followed by flour. Mix just until combined, do not over mix.
- Fill ramekins ¾ of the way with batter. Bake for 7 - 9 minutes.
- Dust top of each with confectioners sugar and garnish with raspberries.
- Place each ramekin on a dessert plate and serve warm.