Cool weather and crisp air make it the perfect time for comfort food. Here is a special recipe I found on McCormickGourmet.com from Iron Chef, Cat Cora. Chicken Pot Pie has long been an American classic and in this recipe, Chef Cora’s puts her spin on it, by utilizing individual ramekins for the pies and incorporating the savory flavors of rosemary and thyme. Frozen puff pastry saves time and stress, so this meal is still simple. An added bonus – since you are making them individually you can freeze some for later use. Love it!
For more recipes like this one check out McCormick Gourmet.
Savory Chicken Pot Pies
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 6 ramekins or soufflé dishes (8- or 10-ounce)
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed in refrigerator
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 cup diced celery (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup diced zucchini (1/2-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups shredded roast chicken, without skin
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Sicilian Sea Salt , divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground McCormick® Gourmet Collection Black Peppercorns, Tellicherry , divided
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection Thyme Leaves
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Rosemary, Crushed
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
1. Using one of the ramekins as a template, trace 6 circles from puff pastry sheets, adding 1-inch for overhang on all sides. Place on tray. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add peas and zucchini; cook and stir 3 minutes or until tender. Add wine to skillet; bring to boil. Stir in chicken. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Set aside.
3. Bring stock, thyme and rosemary to boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until ready to use. Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Sprinkle with flour. Stir with whisk until mixture is well blended. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir 2 minutes or until mixture turns golden. Immediately add 1 cup of the stock, whisking until mixture is smooth. Whisk in remaining stock and heavy cream until smooth. Stirring constantly, bring to boil on medium-high heat and boil 1 minute or until sauce is thick. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
5. Pour sauce over mixture in skillet. Toss gently until well coated. Fill each ramekin about 3/4 full with chicken mixture. Place a pastry round on top of each ramekin. Press excess pastry firmly all around side of ramekin. Place ramekins on baking sheet.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately.
This recipe was created by Cat Cora, Bon Appetit Executive Chef, for the McCormick® Gourmet Collection.
Image Credit to Mccormick.com