Happy Cinco de Mayo! Today we’re happy to share this delicious recipe perfect for your celebration today or any day. The recipe was adapted from Foods and Flavors of San Antonio by Gloria Chadwick. Soup is always good food and this recipe especially delicious. We hope you enjoy it.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, including juice
- 10 6″ corn tortillas
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded sharp white or yellow cheddar
- lime slices, avocado, and sour cream for serving
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime juice. Grill until cooked.
- In a large, deep skillet saute onion in Canola oil until soft and translucent low-medium heat. Add garlic, cumin, and chile powder, saute for 3 or 4 more minutes.
- When chicken has cooled shred with your hands. Add to pan with broth, tomatoes, cilantro, and oregano.
- Dice four of the tortillas and add them to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering cut your remaining six tortillas in half and then into 1/2″ wide strips. Place them on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with baking spray and lightly spray the tops of them. Bake at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
- Serve soup alongside cheddar, tortilla strips, lime slices, avocado and sour cream for topping.
What is your favorite way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo?