Colorful and delicious citrus fennel and mango summer salad.
Summer parties are the perfect way to host friends and family and enjoy quality time and delectable dishes! But if you’re trying to lose weight or even maintain it, these parties can wreak havoc on your waistline. Many BBQ main dishes and sides are loaded with calories, fat and things that don’t promote good health.
To avoid adding lots of calories with all the fun, stick to healthier options like grilled vegetables and grilled chicken. Instead of heavier sides like coleslaw, macaroni and potato salad, try this delicious and gorgeous salad that everyone will love. Our friends from the Pritikin Longevity Center have kindly shared the recipe below – we can’t wait to try it!
Citrus Fennel Mango Salad by Executive Chef, Anthony Stewart, at Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa
Makes 8 servings
- 2 Bulbs fennel julienne
- 1 Grapefruit (supreme)
- 2 Oranges (Supreme)
- 3 Mangoes (peeled & julienne)
- ¼ Bu Cilantro chopped
- 1 t chopped garlic
- 1 Red onion julienne
- 1 Red pepper julienne
- 1 Green pepper julienne
- 1 carrot julienne
- 1 # Lettuce (chopped)
- 1 T Low sodium stone ground mustard
- ¼ C Rice wine vinegar
- 2 T Apple juice concentrate
- Combine all Vegetables in a bowl
- In a separate bowl combine all ingredients for dressing and mix well
- Add dressing to vegetables and let stand for 15 minutes
- Serve on a bed of chopped lettuce