It’s time for Friday Night Bites, and we’re in the mood for something spicy!
It snowed a little here this week, for what feels like the first time this winter. Mind you, I’m not complaining – it just makes me feel like cooking some chili. So here is it, some cozy comfort food in a crockpot, an easy road to some ‘Friday Night Bites’. This recipe is super easy so you can host a crowd, without spending a lot of time or money. Your family and guests will love nothing more than starting the weekend off with comfort food and conversation. Make up a big pot and serve it with toppings like: cheddar cheese, chopped onion, sour cream, jalapeno peppers and some warm, crispy Italian bread. You can, of course, serve chili with beer, but give red wine a try – remember it pairs perfectly with the tomato and spice in Italian recipes. After doing a little research online, I’m going to serve my chili with an Italian-style Sangiovese. Let me know what you think?
Recipe for Cockpot Chili (here’s the basic recipe my husband works from, he changes it a bit each time)
8 servings, 15 minutes prep time, 7 hours cook time
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Brown beef in a skillet over medium heat, and drain grease.
- Add beef to the crockpot, and mix in all of the ingredients with the exception of the cornstarch and water.
- Cover and cook 7 hours on Low.
- Turn heat up to high and in a separate bowl mix cornstarch and water. When there are no lumps, add to the chili and stir in well.
- Cook uncover until the consistency thickens.
Enjoy and cheers to the weekend!