It’s not just pie in the sky – pie is a delicious dessert that does have health benefits!
SELF Magazine has some seriously delicious pie recipes that will help you celebrate without derailing your diet. From sweet, fruity cobblers to decadent chocolate pies, SELF has it! Below are the desserts and the ways they’ll benefit your health.
- Berry, Coconut and Meringue Pie – Fork up a slice of this pie on days before and after a tough workout: Anti-inflammatories in blueberries can help ease muscle pain.
- Almond, Plum and Peach Pie– Peaches are amazing for your skin. They provide vitamin A, which helps prevent clogged pores, so your complexion stays clear and healthy.
- Pistachio-Cherry Crumble – Pistachios contain potassium, a mineral which may help lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Bliss is a few bites away.
- Peanut Butter-Berry Pie – Peanut butter, eggs and milk deliver 13 grams of protein in each slice of this pie. Your body uses more energy to process protein than it does for fat or carbs—now get to work!
- Chocolate-Apricot Pie – Apricots have roughly 60 percent more immunity-enhancing beta-carotene—which can help you fend off colds and flu—than their closest fruit competitor, cantaloupe. Consider a slice sniffle prevention!
- Strawberry-Chocolate Freezer Pie – Strawberries are full of vitamin C, which does double duty: It helps you burn more fat during exercise and helps build skin-firming collagen, resulting in a slimmer, prettier you!
- Summer-Fruit Cobbler – Raspberries are packed with polyphenols, which may protect our brains, helping to keep us sharp