I love this twist on the traditional caramel apple treat for Halloween. It’s perfect for parties and be sure to check out Hershey’s for more Halloween ideas here>
- 10 to 12 medium apples, stems removed
10 to 12 wooden popsicle sticks
- 1 cup HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) REESE’S Peanut Butter Chips, divided
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening, divided (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
1. Line tray with wax paper. Wash apples; dry thoroughly. Insert wooden stick into stem end of each apple; place on prepared tray.
2. Place chocolate chips, 2/3 cup peanut butter chips and 1/4 cup shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred. Dip bottom three-fourths of each apple into mixture. Twirl and gently shake to remove excess; return to prepared tray.
3. Place remaining 1 cup peanut butter chips and remaining 2 tablespoons shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred. Spoon over top section of each apple, allowing to drip down sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve. 10 to 12 coated apples.