Here’s sweet dessert idea for the Fourth Of July. While these festive cupcakes look gourmet or store-bought, they are easy to make yourself.
- 1 box cake mix (+ ingredients listed on box)
- 2 cans white frosting (or make your own)
- red and blue food coloring
1. Bake cupcakes according to box instructions. Allow to cool thoroughly.
2. Place1/2 cup of icing in 2 separate bowls. Using food coloring, make red and blue icing. Place in ziploc bags and seal. Cut very end of bottom of corner of bag – this is how you will pipe icing onto cupcakes. Set aside.
3. Ice top of cupcakes with white frosting.
4. As shown in picture, pipe icing in concentric circles, using alternating colors (do half starting in middle with red, other half with blue).
5. Using the end of a toothpick, start in center of cupcake and draw toothpick through icing to outer end of cupcake, continue doing this is small pie-like slices until you return to starting point.