These little cakes scream SUMMER! So capitalize on the fresh berries that are abundant this time of year, and make a classic dessert your guests will love.
Mixed Berry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- additional sugar (to taste)
- 1 pints fresh California strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 pint fresh California blueberries
- 1 pint fresh California blackberries
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
- Zabaglione Cream – optional
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg into large bowl. Cut in butter to resemble coarse meal.
- In separate bowl blend milk and egg yolks with fork. Stir into flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 6 portions; form into balls. Pat balls out on greased baking sheet to 3-inch circles, moistening fingers with egg whites. Brush cakes with egg whites & Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in preheated 450-degree oven 10 to 12 minutes until golden. Remove to rack; cool.
- Sweeten berries to taste. Halve cakes horizontally. On plates, fill and garnish with berries and whipped cream.
- As a special addition to this recipe, add a spoonful of Zabaglione Cream to the middle of the halved cakes.
Recipe adapted from calstrawberry.com