Cobbler is the comfort food of the dessert world!
Here’s a wonderful idea for a special dinner party dessert – add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and give your guests a taste of heaven. Blackberries not only make a delicious dessert, they are great for you. The season starts soon with California leading the charge- picking begins late April to May.
This recipe comes Ivéta.com, in my opinion they make the best scone mixes on earth. I tasted them for the first time a few years ago, at the Fancy Food Show in NYC, and they continue to be my favorite. Their cupcake mixes are awesome too! Ivéta.com has several great recipes, this one jumped out at me and I’m going to make it for our next family get-together. The Orange Scone Mix is not available via retail outlets, however you can purchase it online for $7 per bulk bag. I ordered 3 and the shipping was $8. Hope you enjoy some too!
Blackberry Orange Cobbler
Serves 8 – 10.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Ivéta Orange Scone Mi.
- 2 pounds fresh blackberries
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dry tapioca (optional for a thicker filling)
- Place the Scone mix and into a mixing bowl and pour in ¾ of the heavy cream, mixing as you pour. Stir until the cream is absorbed in the mix.
- Work the dough around the bowl until all the dry ingredients are incorporated and the dough is slightly sticky to the touch, adding the remaining heavy cream as needed.
- Wrap dough and place in refrigerator for about 30 min.
- In an oven-proof skillet melt butter and sugar. Add fresh berries and sauté for 10 minutes. For a thicker filling add tapioca and sauté for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Roll out dough like a pie crust or dollop pieces over the top of the filling in the skillet.
- For a golden brown crust brush scone dough with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.