Bake up some love for your family this Valentine’s day with this simple and special recipe. Kids love icing and sprinkles so we made sure to put them front and center in this sweet treat.
Valentine’s Day Sandwich Cookie Recipe
- 24 sugar cookies (recipe below)
- 1 batch buttercream icing (recipe below)
- Heart sprinkles
- Lay ½ of the cookies bottom side up on a wax paper lined tray.
- Drop a spoonful or two of icing (depending on the size of your cookies, you will need 1-2 tbsp. of icing) on the cookie and top with matching cookie. Gently press sandwich to distribute icing evenly. If necessary use a butter knife to smooth icing around perimeter.
- Pour sprinkles into a pie dish. Roll perimeter of cookie in sprinkles (alternatively, you can hold the cookie sandwich between your thumb and forefinger and rotate as you sprinkle on the sprinkles.)
- Place cookie sandwich on tray and repeat process until all sandwiches are assembled.
- Place ½ cup icing in sealable plastic sandwich bag, snip off just the very corner and pipe on heart in center of each cookie. Top with sprinkles.
Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe
(Makes 4-5 dozen cookies/yield dependent on size of cookie cutters)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- Cream butter and sugar in mixer. Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar just until combined.
- Divide dough in half and form into balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly flour your “dough rolling” surface (whether it’s your cleaned countertop or another surface you use for rolling dough.)
- Roll out balls of dough to approx. ¼” thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out your cookies. Roll up scraps into a ball and repeat process. If dough gets too warm, return to refrigerator.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake just until bottom is golden brown, approx. 8 minutes.
- Cool a few minutes and then transfer to cooling rack. When completely cool store in airtight container.
(Makes approx. 3 cups)
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp. milk
- Cream shortening and butter in mixer. Add in vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until thoroughly combined.
- Add milk 1 Tbsp. at a time until icing is the right spreading consistency.
- Add desired food coloring. If making a few different colors, divide icing into several different containers.
- Use immediately or cover until ready to use.