Beer is not just for sipping at this BBQ!
Some call it Beer Can Chicken or Drunkin’ Chicken, we just call it delicious! The beautiful golden color of the finished bird comes from the steam inside. The steam (from the beer) also flavors the meat and keeps it moist. It’s a great alternative to hamburgers and hot dogs, and will also get a few laughs out of your guests!
BEER CAN CHICKEN RECIPE
- 2 – 2.5 to 3 lb. whole chickens (for slightly larger chickens adjust cooking time accordingly)
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 cans of beer
- Preheat grill on low.
- Clean chickens (make sure to remove giblets from cavity before rinsing inside and out with water) and pat them dry.
- Rub chickens inside and out with olive oil, followed by kosher salt and rosemary.
- Pour out 50% of beer in each can (reserve for your consumption or another use). Place cavity of chicken over can and use legs as a tripod to keep it standing, repeat with other chicken
- Note: check your local “home” store to buy a “stand” for the chicken, as pictured above, just follow directions on the package.
- Transfer Beer Can Chickens to the grill as pictured and cook on low for approximately 90 minutes with the cover down until skin is dark golden brown and crispy and internal temperature reaches 180°. Use a meat thermometer in the inner thigh, just like checking a turkey. When you cut into it the juices should run clear, not pink.