It’s Friday and for many it’s a meatless day during the lent season. Tonight think about hosting friends and family with for a delicious homemade meal! Serve up our easy recipe for Shrimp Friend Rice – it’s simple to make, and budget friendly for a crowd!
You can literally whip this dinner up in minutes. If you keep leftover rice in the fridge and shrimp in the freezer, you can always substitute in whatever vegetables you have on hand. Make sure you stock soy sauce and sesame oil (the sesame oil is what gives it that Chinese Fried Rice smell and taste).
Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
- 4 cups cooked white rice (prepare earlier in day or previous day and refrigerate)
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 8 oz. frozen cooked peeled and deveined shrimp, thaw and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch scallions/green onions, minced
- ¾ cups frozen peas, defrosted and thoroughly drained
- 1½ – 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1½ tsp. sesame oil
- salt to taste
- Heat large non-stick fry pan on medium heat. Add eggs and scramble until lightly cooked (they should be slightly runny). Turn off heat and move eggs to a plate and using a spatula, chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Wipe out pan with paper towel. Add 1 tbsp. oil to pan and heat on high heat. Add diced shrimp and cook for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp. oil to pan. Add scallions and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add rice and mix thoroughly to incorporate scallions, breaking up any clumps. Spread rice evenly throughout pan. Note: some grains of rice may “pop”. Allow rice to “fry” without stirring for 1-2 minutes, then stir rice and allow to “fry” for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1½ tbsp. soy sauce, sesame oil and salt and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add peas, scallions, eggs and shrimp to rice and gently mix in. Heat for 1-2 minutes or until all ingredients are heated thoroughly and rice is sizzling. Add remaining soy sauce if needed.
Our “cheat” on this recipe is using frozen cooked peeled and deveined shrimp. Thaw according to directions and simply cut into bite-size pieces. If you want to use raw shrimp, fry your raw peeled and deveined shrimp in Step 2 until opaque (about 1-2 minutes/side). You can either cut shrimp into bite-size pieces when cool enough to handle or add in whole in Step 6.
© 2015 Party Bluprints Inc., All Rights Reserved