Eggs Benedict is one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast. I don’t treat myself often, but I am getting the urge to indulge!
Eggs Benedict with Ham and Asparagus – adapted from Egg-land’s Best recipe
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 15
- 4 Eggland’s Best Eggs
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 4 slices ham
- A dozen baby asparagus spears – roasted (see instructions here>)
- 2 English Muffins
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 Eggland’s Best egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
To prepare Hollandaise Sauce:
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler halfway with water. Make sure water does not touch the top pan. Bring water to a slow simmer. *Note: If you do not have a double boiler, you can easily create one using a small saucepan and a medium-size heavy glass bowl. Be sure water in the pan does not touch the bottom of the glass bowl.
- Melt butter in a small bowl and set aside.
- In the top of the double boiler, whisk together egg yolk, lemon juice, water, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add melted butter to yolk mixture, whisking constantly, until all butter is incorporated. Whisk in salt and set aside. If mixture gets too thick, add small amounts of water to thin out.
- Cover with lid to keep warm and set aside.
Heat the ham in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Set aside on a warm plate.
Toast English muffins in toaster or toaster oven.
To Prepare Poached eggs:
- Fill a large saucepan with 3 inches of water. Bring water to a gentle simmer and add vinegar.
- Gently crack eggs into simmering water. For best results, crack eggs into a small glass bowl and gently pour, or slide, eggs out of bowl into simmering water.
- Repeat for all eggs.
- Allow eggs to cook for 2 1/2 – 3 minutes. Yolks should still be slightly soft in the center and whites should be fully set.
- Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and set on a warm plate.
To assemble, top each muffin with 1 slice of ham, 3 asparagus spears, followed by 1 poached egg.
Drizzle with hollandaise sauce and serve immediately.