We love this red, white and blue patriotic party pleaser. It’s perfect for the Fourth of July or any night you want to dress up fresh summer berries!
Fresh Fruit Custard Pie
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly whisked
- 2 tbsp. butter, sliced into small pieces
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
Fresh Fruit Topping
- 2 – 6 oz. containers blackberries, washed and dried
- 2 – 6 oz. containers raspberries, washed and dried
- 2 – 6 oz. containers blueberries, washed and driedInstructions
Prepare crust as follows.
- Beat butter and sugar in electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Slowly beat in egg – just until incorporated.
- Add flour and salt and mix until it forms a ball.
- Position a large piece of plastic wrap flat on the counter. Place ball of dough in center of wrap and loosely wrap. Using palm of hand, gently press down on dough, flattening evenly to form a disk.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Generously grease and flour a 9” glass pie dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Unwrap dough and place in center of pie dish, gently start pressing from the center out to spread dough across the bottom of the plate and halfway up the side. Prick bottom of dough with tines of a fork.
- Bake crust for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is cooked through and golden brown.
- Place on cooling rack.
Prepare custard as follows.
- In a non-stick saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. On low heat, whisk milk into flour mixture until smooth. Raise heat to medium and bring mixture to just a slight boil.
- Whisk constantly for 3-5 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and whisk one cup of mixture into egg yolks – return to saucepan. Whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes while simmering until mixture slightly thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla, stir until butter is completely melted.
- Sit a fine sieve colander atop glass bowl and strain custard. Place plastic wrap directly on top of custard to keep skin from forming.
- Refrigerate approximately one hour until cool.
- Pour custard into pie crust and distribute evenly.
- Decorate with blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.
©2014 Party Bluprints Inc., All Rights Reserved, www.partybluprintsblog.com