Looking for a simple and special appetizer that can be served as passed hors d’oeuvres or used to amp up your appetizer buffet? We took the traditional cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto (an old school sit-down dinner appetizer course) and morphed it into a cocktail party or appetizer buffet star. These melon prosciutto skewers deliver a burst of healthy fruit freshness with a substantial salty filling sandwiched in between. You can prepare them ahead of time and whip out these fancy looking snacks just before guests arrive.
Melon Prosciutto Skewers
(Makes approx. 32 skewers)
- 2 large cantaloupe melons
- 1 lb. prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 32 skewers
- Wash outside of melons and dry. Slice melon in half and scoop out seeds. Using a ½” scoop, make melon balls. Repeat process with other melon.
- Once your melon balls are made, grab your prosciutto from the fridge and your skewers and a serving tray from your pantry.
- To assemble skewers, simply hold a melon ball and insert pointy end of skewer — position first melon ball approximately 1” from base of skewer (this allows room to hold skewer.) Accordion fold ½ a slice of prosciutto and thread it onto skewer resting gently atop melon ball. Top skewer with second melon ball and place skewer on serving tray. Repeat process until all melon balls are used.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.