With winter in full swing and more cold weather around the corner, soup is perfect for party time. Give this fresher version of french onion soup a try. It makes a great first course for a dinner party or the main course for a luncheon, serve it with a Roquette salad.
Onion Soup with Bagel Chips
Kings Cooking Studio Recipe – Serves 4
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, Divided
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1-1/3 Pounds Onions, Peeled And Sliced
- 5 Ounces Dry White Wine
- 1 Quart Clear Beef Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 Clove Garlic, Crushed
- 1 Pinch Dried Marjoram
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 6 Ounces Bagel Chips
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
- Fontina or Gruyere cheese, grated
1. Heat 2 tablespoons butter and vegetable oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.Add the sliced onions and cook slowly until they are brown, soft and translucent, about 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Deglaze the pot with white wine and let simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the broth, bay leaves,l emon zest, and garlic. Allow the soup to simmer for 8-10 minutes. Season with marjoram, salt, and cayenne pepper. Remove the bay leaves and discard.
3. Prior to serving, melt the remaining butter and toast the bagel chips on both sides until golden brown and crisp. Sprinkle the soup with chopped parsley. Ladle into soup bowls and serve with toasted bagel chips.
4. To garnish individual soup bowls, drop in one bagel chip topped with melted, grated Fontina or Gruyere cheese.