Soup is good food and is also perfect for party time.
At your next gathering give this fresher version of french onion soup a try. It makes a great first course for a dinner party or the main course for a luncheon, serve it with a Roquette salad. Plus onions are really good for you!
A quick glimpse at their incredible health benefits:
- The phytochemicals in onions improve the working of Vitamin C in the body, thus gifting you with improved immunity.
- Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
- For centuries, onions have been used to reduce inflammation and heal infections.
- Do you enjoy sliced onions with your food? If yes, rejoice! Raw onion encourages the production of good cholesterol (HDL), thus keeping your heart healthy.
- A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer.
- Got bitten by a honeybee? Apply onion juice on the area for immediate relief from the pain and burning sensation.
- Onions scavenge free radicals, thereby reducing your risk of developing gastric ulcers.
- Those bright green tops of green onions are rich in Vitamin A, so do use them often.
Fresh Onion Soup Recipe
Kings Cooking Studio Recipe – Serves 4
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, Divided
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1-1/3 Pounds Onions, Peeled And Sliced
- 5 Ounces Dry White Wine
- 1 Quart Clear Beef Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 Clove Garlic, Crushed
- 1 Pinch Dried Marjoram
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 6 Ounces Bagel Chips
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
- Fontina or Gruyere cheese, grated
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and vegetable oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.Add the sliced onions and cook slowly until they are brown, soft and translucent, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with white wine and let simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the broth, bay leaves, lemon zest, and garlic. Allow the soup to simmer for 8-10 minutes. Season with marjoram, salt, and cayenne pepper. Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Prior to serving, melt the remaining butter and toast the bagel chips on both sides until golden brown and crisp. Sprinkle the soup with chopped parsley. Ladle into soup bowls and serve with toasted bagel chips.
- To garnish individual soup bowls, drop in one bagel chip topped with melted, grated Fontina or Gruyere cheese.