It’s time for Friday Night Bites with a little love from Mama Tina. This week Elizabeth is sharing her family’s recipe for Broccoli Pasta!
Mama Tina’s Broccoli Pasta
- 1 lb. box rigatoni
- 1 pkg. fresh broccoli, washed and cut into florets
- 6-7 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup + 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¾ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- While bringing water to a boil in a covered stockpot, heat ¼ cup olive oil on medium heat in a large sauté/fry pan. Add garlic to olive oil and fry until golden brown (some may like it more well done, aka, brown and crunchy – just be careful not to burn it). While garlic is frying, add broccoli to boiling water and cook for a few minutes until bright green. Using a slotted spoon, remove broccoli from boiling water and add to sauté pan, mixing in with olive oil and broccoli, sprinkle with salt to your liking and mix again. While you’re waiting for pasta to cook, keep this mixture warm on low heat.
- Bring the water in the stockpot you cooked the broccoli in to a rolling boil and add rigatoni, cook until al dente (slightly firm), see directions on the box. Meanwhile in a small fry pan, add 2 tsp. olive oil and breadcrumbs, stir until well blended (breadcrumbs shouldn’t look dry, they should be slightly moist), toast breadcrumbs on low-medium heat until golden brown. Remove from heat and transfer to a small serving bowl.
- When rigatoni is cooked al dente, drain in colander reserving 1 cup of pasta water (trick, put your colander on top of a measuring cup to catch 1 cup of the pasta water). Pour pasta into sauté pan and stir until fully incorporated with broccoli, olive oil, garlic mixture. Add pasta water as necessary to keep pasta from drying out, start out mixing in 1/3 cup and add more as necessary. Serve in individual rimmed bowls with toasted breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, black pepper and/or crush red pepper.
Enjoy and cheers to the weekend! Friday Night Bites is a weekly food series from the Partybluprints Blog.