It’s time for Friday Night Bites and this week we’re grilling up something delicious for you! It’s great for summer entertaining because you can make it ahead of time and reheat when ready!
“When my friend, Sue, served us Grilled Sausage Quesadillas about 20 years ago, we went crazy for them. She was kind enough to share her recipe, I have modified it over the years and have been dishing it up ever since to rave reviews. Delicious! “- Elizabeth
- 2 lbs./10 links hot Italian sausage or chicken sausage
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 8 oz. package pepper jack cheese, grated
- 12 medium flour tortillas (you can also use corn tortillas for a gluten-free option)
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Kosher salt
- Remove sausage from casings and crumble into sauté pan. Cook on medium heat until browned and cooked through. Remove sausage from pan and allow to drain in paper towel lined bowl.
- Empty peppers, onion and garlic (to add some heat, add 2 diced jalapeno peppers) into sauté pan you cooked sausage in. There should be enough grease from the sausage to sauté the veggies, but if you need a bit more, add a tsp. of extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add sausage back into pan with onions and peppers and continue cooking. When sausage is heated through, empty in large bowl and mix in grated cheese.
- If you are not ready to make quesadillas, cover sausage mixture and refrigerate until ready to use (you can do this a day in advance of serving).
- When ready to prepare quesadillas, preheat grill (you can also use a grill pan on the stove). Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil.
- On low-medium heat, lightly grill one side of tortilla, flip and fill with about ¼ – ? cup of sausage mixture depending on size of tortilla (you want enough to cover ½ of tortilla so it is full when folded but not overflowing). Using tongs, fold upper half of tortilla over on itself making a half-moon shape. Complete process with remaining tortillas. Keep an eye on quesadillas to make sure they don’t burn, if they are getting too brown, move to warming shelf of grill.
© 2012 Party Bluprints Inc., All Rights Reserved