Photo credit: Alexandra Mascali
It’s time for Friday Night Bites and tonight’s recipe is one of my favorites, especially when Elizabeth makes it!
The Orecchiette in this awesome dish, act like little pasta saucers catching the combo of light garlickly onion sauce, peas and sausage creating the perfect bite. This flavorful pasta is light yet satisfying, and just the thing for an easy and delicious Friday Night Bite to enjoy with family or friends. Simple and Special – just the way we like it.
- 1 lb. Orecchiette
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (you can substitute Italian chicken sausage)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 12 oz. frozen peas
- 8 oz. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- Bring large pot of generously salted water to a boil.
- Add olive oil and onions to non-stick pan and heat over medium heat, cook until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for a few additional minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove sausage from its casings and break into small pieces in non-stick pan. Cook over medium heat until brown and crunchy.
- While sausage is cooking, prepare Orecchiette al dente according to directions on the package.
- Remove sausage from pan to paper towel lined bowl to remove excess oil; also wipe out excess oil from pan. Add sausage, garlic, and onions back to pan and keep warm over low heat.
- In a small saucepan combine chicken broth and peas and heat over low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- When Orecchiette is cooked al dente, use a large slotted spoon to remove from pot and add directly to pan with sausage mixture and toss. Add in peas and broth and mix gently over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in reserved pasta water as necessary to keep pasta from becoming dry.