It’s time for Friday Night Bites! The weather has been great here on the East Coast, so think about firing up the grill tonight and kicking off the weekend with some heat. This mixed grill and couscous salad is a budget-friendly way to feed a crowd, but tastes like 5 star dining. Invite your friends and family over tonight and begin the weekend with some great food and fun.
GRILLED DRY RUB LONDON BROIL AND/OR CHICKEN
Using a few basic spices from your pantry, it’s easy to mix it up a bit and add some pizzazz to popular grilled favorites (chicken breast and London Broil). Simply prepare a dry rub, sprinkle your chicken and steak with the rub, let it marinate in the refrigerator and then grill it up.Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 4 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 2 tsp. minced onion
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 London Broil (2-3 lb. piece)
- 6 Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Mix dry rub ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. Note: the last 3 ingredients provide the kick to your rub – if you want to decrease “the heat/spiciness” of your rub, decrease these amounts according to taste.
- Remove steak and chicken from packages and arrange on separate platters. Sprinkle both sides with dry rub – pressing the rub gently into the pieces. Cover and refrigerate until ready to grill. Preheat grill on high. Cook London Broil and chicken breasts 10-12 minutes/side, or until desired degree of doneness (cooking time can vary depending on the thickness of the cut and the temperature of your grill). The juice on the chicken should run clear.
- Remove steak and chicken from grill to platter and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut each item in hearty slices, arrange on platter and serve.
GRILLED CORN COUSCOUS SALAD: This side salad is the perfect cool complement to the spicy Fired-Up Mixed Grill. The fresh flavors from the produce brighten up this wholesome grain resulting in a refreshing and tasty salad. It’s an easy and affordable salad to make – a little couscous goes a long way!
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
(Expecting a larger crowd – simply double the recipe to serve 12-16)
- 1 cup tri-color Couscous (you can substitute plain couscous)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ears of grilled corn on the cob (kernels removed)
- 6 scallions, sliced thinly
- ½ dry pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- coarse sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill. Remove husks and silks from corn. Grill corn on medium heat 15-20 minutes turning midway through. Allow corn to cool thoroughly and then using a knife slice off the kernels from the cobs. Set kernels aside.
- Add chicken broth and grilled corn kernels to a pot, cover and bring to a boil. Remove pot from heat, add couscous, stir and cover. Allow couscous to sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork until fluffy and all clumps are removed. Add scallions, tomatoes and parsley and gently mix. In a separate bowl, prepare dressing by mixing fresh lime juice, canola oil, salt and pepper – mix thoroughly and then dress salad.
Enjoy and cheers to the weekend! Friday Night Bites is a weekly food series from the Partybluprints Blog.