It’s time for Friday Night Bites and with summer kicking into full gear, everyone needs a great burger recipe.
This recipe comes from the Kohl’s Cares® Good Housekeeping’s “Grilling” Cookbook. That means it’s got to be good and it does good too – read below for details. So fire up the grill tonight and try out the ‘Perfect Burger’ recipe with friends and family. If it whets your appetite for more, head over to Kohl’s and check out more amazing recipes>
The Perfect Burger
One of the most important keys to a delicious, juicy burger is the handle the ground beef as little as possible. Shape your burgers without compacting them too much.
Prep: 10 minutes plus soaking skewers – Grill: 8 to 10 minutes – Makes: 4 burgers
- 4 (12-inch) bamboo skewers
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef chuck
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large sweet onion (12 ounces), such as Vidalia or Maui, cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 green-leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes (6-8 ounces each), thinly sliced
- Soak skewers in hot water to cover at least 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare outdoor grill for covered direct grilling over medium heat, or preheat ridged grill pan over medium heat until very hot.
- Shape ground beef into 4 ¾-inch-thick patties. Sprinkle pepper and ¾ teaspoon salt on both sides of patties. Thread 1 skewer through the center of each onion slice. Sprinkle onion with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Place burgers and onion on hot grill; cook 8 to 10 minutes for medium or to desired doneness, turning over once. Onion should be browned and tender. About 1 minute before the burgers are done, add buns, cut sides down, to grill. Grill just until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato, and onion.
Reprinted with permission from The Good Housekeeping Grilling © 2011 by Hearst Books, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photography by Mary Ellen Bartley.
Kohl’s Cares® Good Housekeeping’s “Grilling” Cookbook
Available now till the end of June for just $5! 100% of the net profit from the sale of this item will support kids’ health and education initiatives in communities nationwide. Visit our Kohl’s Cares® site to learn more.
Enjoy and cheers to the weekend! Friday Night Bites is a weekly food series from the Partybluprints Blog.