It’s time for Friday Night Bites and tonight we have some super delicious stuffed peppers!
We love the way this dish looks and tastes. The bright, beautiful, red peppers are full of flavor and when stuffed with rice, cheese and hot chicken sausage they bake to perfection. We recommend a cool Chianti or the more traditional pick, Sangiovese, as a great complement for this dish. So go ahead, and turn a ho-hum Friday Night into a special one, by inviting friends to share in good food and fun at home!
- 4 medium red peppers
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 5 hot chicken sausage links (you can substitute any type of sausage)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 cup uncooked gourmet blend of whole grain brown rice (I used Lundberg Jubilee gourmet blend of whole grain brown rice)
- ½ cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Kosher salt
- Prepare rice according to package instructions (for enhanced flavor, substitute chicken broth for water in rice recipe).
- While rice is cooking, prepare your peppers. Slice off tops of 4 red peppers. Clean out inside of peppers, removing white ribs and seeds, rinse. If your peppers won’t stand upright, cut a very thin slice off the bottom of pepper so they stand upright. Place peppers upright in a square baking dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove sausage from casing and crumble into sauté pan. Cook on medium heat until browned and cooked through. Remove sausage from pan and allow to drain in paper towel lined bowl.
- Empty peppers, onion and garlic into sauté pan you cooked sausage in – there should be enough grease from the sausage to sauté the veggies. If you need a little bit more grease, add a drop or two of canola or olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add sausage back into pan and mix in. When rice is cooked, mix in sausage mixture. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Fill peppers with this mixture and top with shredded cheese. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are soft.
© 2012 Party Bluprints Inc., All Rights Reserved, www.partybluprintsblog.com
Enjoy and cheers to the weekend! Friday Night Bites is a weekly food series from the Partybluprints Blog.